ST PHILIP THE APOSTLE
St Philip the Apostle Church has been the Parish Church for South Tottenham since 1899. The 800 seater church was completed in 1911 and has for over a hundred years served as a Christian witness to South Tottenham, yet in recent years the building has not been well maintained and is in urgent need of maintenance and repair. Rather than being a tool for mission and evangelism, it has become somewhat of a blot on the local community. For many years most of the community thought the building had been abandoned and left to rot. However this is not the case.
Recently work has begun to breathe new life into the Church. Areas of the church premises are currently being let to a local charity and additional spaces have been identified to improve the efficiency of the internal layout and increase the ‘lettable’ area for use by another charitable organisation and private hire. Improvements to accessibility, footfall and overall community outreach are also key aspects of the short term and long term ambitions for the church community.
The capital campaign has been broken down into five phases.
Refurbishing the former hall in the South Aisle to be used by community groups such as HAIL & CARIS
Hall to be visually linked to the church with connectivity between church and hall
Improved access into the building
New suite of toilets
New office space in former sacristy for CARIS
Creation of a new kitchen
Creation of a new sacristy